living under the rule of your king
We talk a lot about the form and function of our government. Taxes, social programs, court cases, military support…the list is long.
Did you ever think how many different forms of government there are in the Bible? Below is just a quick brainstorm. (There certainly might be more!) God’s gracious promises both exist and grow in all of these settings –
- Patriarchy – Abraham, Isaac, Jacob…
- Monarchy – Saul, David, Solomon…
- Judges – Gideon, Samson, Samuel…
- Empires – Assyria, Babylon, Rome…
- Military rule – Joshua
- High Priests – Aaron, Eleazar, Phineas…
- Sanhedrin of Israel
- Jerusalem Council of the early church
- Even anarchy – “In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as he saw fit.” (Judges 21:25)
Perhaps this list can keep going. But, you get the point. There is a lot.
Here’s the other point. Every one of these forms of rule exist under the Rule of Christ. That’s right. Every one exists under a monarchy.
All kinds of corruption happens in every form of human governance – power plays, coercion, self-service. But the monarchy of our God is righteous. It’s holy. It’s different.
He uses his power to serve. His service is for the sake of others. He invites your obedience by invitation, not coercion.
Think about the Kingship of Jesus Christ today. He was first enthroned on the cross. Now, risen from the dead, there is nothing outside of His rule…or beyond His ability to affect.
Live today confidently under the gracious Rule of your King.
Post a Comment
Comments for this post have been disabled.